10 days | $1,500 contribution
post-earthquake school Rebuild
Langtang Valley, nestled in the Nepalese Himalayas just north of Kathmandu Valley bordering Tibet, is home to 4,500 Tamang and Tibetan people.
Following the April 2015 earthquake, a massive avalanche completely wiped out Langtang Village and rebuild efforts have been slowly taking place due to its remote location.
This beautiful guided teahouse trek in the breathtaking Himalayas comes with helping villages rebuild communities and schools. Our project funds the entirety of the Komin Shyamey Wangphel Secondary School rebuild located in Syabru Besi town. Participants have the opportunity to volunteer, work with and learn from locals, and experience the peace and serenity of some of the highest valleys and peaks in the world. The Langtang Valley trek is the third most popular behind the well-known Everest Base Camp and Annapurna Circuit treks and is the perfect introduction to Himalayan trekking.
- Donation towards rebuilding the school
- Volunteer work and equipment at the school
- All food and accommodation on the trek
- Trek Relief expert guides and porters
- Premier Trek Relief trail services
- 2 nights accommodation in Kathmandu
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Equipment rentals: sleeping bag, liner, down jacket
- Local transport to/from trailhead
- Langtang National Park fee & TIMS trekking permit
- Airfare to/from Kathmandu
- Airport pickup
- Travel insurance
Langtang Valley × Tihar Festival
Nov 8 - Pre-trek briefing (1 pm) and welcome dinner
Nov 9 - Bus to Syabru Besi (1503m), visit school site and staff introductions
Nov 10 - Volunteer at school
Nov 11 - Trek to Lama Hotel (2410m)
Nov 12 - Trek to Thyangsyap (3130m)
Nov 13 - Trek to Kyanjin Gompa (3830m)
Nov 14 - Hike to Kyanjin Ri (4779m) and volunteer (conditions permitting)
Nov 15 - Trek halfway back
Nov 16 - Trek to Syabru Besi (1503m) and volunteer at school
Nov 17 - Bus to Kathmandu (1,400m) and farewell dinner
Nov 18 - Check out of hotel
Tihar Festival extension (optional):
Begin your philanthropic journey to the Himalayas with the spectacular Tihar Festival, which is celebrated from Nov. 5th – Nov. 9th in Kathmandu. The Tihar festival or “Festival of Lights” is Nepal’s second largest festival and celebrates the intimate relationship between man and all things.
November 7th, the day before the start of our program, will be the most vibrant day of celebration. On this day, Kathmandu comes to life as the city is illuminated by thousands of candles and the streets are filled the cheerful with song and dance of its people. For more information on the Tihar Festival, click here.
**This festival is highly recommended as a cultural experience but will NOT be organized by Trek Relief. Please be sure to make your own arrangements if you plan to arrive early for the festivities.
How to sign up:
- Fill out the volunteer application below and upload a 2x2 photo and copy of your passport. Only complete applications will be considered.
- Start a fundraising page - this page will track your contributions. You may choose to donate or raise the funds needed to participate in our program.
- Connect with your trip mates on our Facebook event page.
- **DEADLINE: Raise or donate the initial deposit of $300 by September 8, 2018.
- **DEADLINE: Raise or donate the minimum contribution of $1,500 by October 8, 2018.
**Each missed deadline will result in an additional $100 contribution on top of the minimum trip cost. We do not offer refunds - however, for up to 1 year your contributions may be used as credit toward another Trek Relief trip.